Organisations aproved for charitable donee status
A list of organisations that have been granted charitable donee status from the 2007-08 tax year.
The following organisations have been granted charitable donee status from the 2007-08 tax year.
- Hamlin Charitable Fistula Hospitals Trust;
- Hope Foundation Development Trust;
- Hope International Charitable Trust;
- Limbs 4 All Charitable Trust;
- New Zealand Disaster Assistance Response Team Trust;
- Operation Restore Hope Charitable Trust; and
- The World Swim for Malaria Foundation (New Zealand)
Donee status entitles donors to certain tax relief. For the 2007-08 tax year, the following limitations apply:
- Individual taxpayers will be entitled to a rebate of 33 1/3 percent of the amount donated, to a maximum rebate for all donations of $630 per annum.
- A non-closely held company, or a closely held company which is listed on a recognised stock exchange, will be entitled to a deduction from its net income to a maximum of 5 percent of that income.
- A Maori authority may claim a maximum deduction of 5 percent of its net income donated to charitable organisations and/or a body that has been defined as a Maori association under the Maori Community Development Act 1962.
The amounts that may be claimed for the 2008-09 and future tax years is outlined under "Greater tax incentives for charitable donations".